Picture this- you’ve finished your orthodontic treatment and are ready to show your smile to the world! You walk around day to day with your smile lighting up each and every room. Then, one day you wake up, and you notice a misaligned tooth. This can be a normal result of not wearing your retainers.
Retainers are imperative in keeping your smile functional and healthy after orthodontic treatment, and your retainer will be made specifically for your smile and your needs! You have a couple of different options for your type of retainer. You can choose a removable plastic retainer, a removable retainer made of a metal archwire, or a permanent retainer! Dr. Papandreas will discuss all of your options with you, and is always happy to answer all of your questions.
The amount of time you will have to wear your retainer varies case-by-case. Generally, right after you finish orthodontic treatment, you are encouraged to wear your retainer most of the day for a short period of time. Dr. Papandreas will monitor your smile closely, and will let you know when you can switch to night time wear only.
Benefits of Papandreas Orthodontics In-House Retainers
- You will get your retainer very shortly after you finish your treatment, preventing any tooth movement
- If you ever lose or damage your retainer, Dr. Papandreas will have your scans on file and can make you a new one in no time
- Papandreas Orthodontics state of the art 3D printing system prints our virtually clear retainers, so no one will ever know you were wearing one
As with most things, there is going to be an adjustment period as you get used to your new retainer. We like to remind our patients that these adjustments are temporary, and are necessary in order to keep beautiful, healthy smile that was accomplished through treatment. One of the biggest adjustments is your speech. Initially, it might be more difficult to speak with your retainers in, however, you will quickly adapt and will be talking back to normal in no time!
When your retainers are not being worn, you should always keep them in their protective case. They can be broken and damaged, so you will want to handle them with care.
- Keep your retainers away from hot water
- Do not set your retainers on or near hot dashboards
- Keep your retainers out of your pockets, as you could accidentally wash them
- Do not wear your retainers when swimming
- Do not place your retainers on napkins, as you could accidentally throw them away
Dr. Papandreas recommends that you clean your retainers once a day. This will help remove plaque and it can eliminate odors. To clean we recommend brushing them using:
- Warm water (not hot water)
To learn more about Papandreas Orthodontics in house retainers, call us to schedule your in office or virtual complimentary consultation! When it pertains to keeping your teeth straight, retainers are the best!