Last Updated on
They help us bite, chew and talk. And they’re even responsible for our smile. Where would we be without our teeth? But for as important as they are, you probably don’t even notice them unless there’s a problem. Here are some not-so-well-known facts about your “pearly whites” that you most likely didn’t know. Let’s get cracking.
9 Things You Didn’t Know About Your Teeth
- A tooth can come into the mouth with a cavity.
- A cavity is one of the few things the body cannot heal. It worsens with time unless a dentist removes the decay and places a filling.
- A tooth can grow in upside down, sideways or backward.
- Baby teeth hold space for permanent teeth that follow, so it’s important to hang onto them until they’re ready to come out on their own!
- Speaking of baby teeth, , they’re also called “deciduous” teeth – from the Latin word, “decidere,” which means “to fall off or be shed” (like leaves from a deciduous tree).
- Teeth by numbers: we get two sets of teeth – 20 baby teeth and 32 (usually) permanent teeth – unless you get extra teeth “supernumerary” teeth, or some teeth never develop (“congenitally missing” teeth). Thank your genes for extra or missing teeth.
- Back teeth are called “molars” and are used for grinding food when you chew.
- Diet soda pop and sports drinks can be just as damaging to your teeth as regular soda because they both contain acid. Acid attacks the enamel surface of teeth and can lead to cavities. The same is true for some bottled waters and flavored carbonated waters.
- The tooth’s “crown” is the part you see, and is only about a quarter to a third of the entire tooth. The rest of the tooth is under the gums.
Remember that healthy teeth and gums contribute to your overall health. Certified Orthodontic Specialist, Dr. Samuel Papandreas, can help you align your teeth and jaws for a healthy and spectacular smile! Schedule online your complimentary appointment today or call our office.
- Which tip will you try first???
- Either way, let us know by leaving a comment below right now and continue the conversation.
14200 Ridge Rd
North Royalton, OH 44133