As our knowledge of orthodontics advances, more and more parents seek earlier intervention for their sons and daughters. The technology available today allows orthodontists to accurately project how a child’s mouth with grow and the appropriate steps necessary to correct issues. Treatment plans rapidly advance to meet the needs of people at all stages of life, including kids. Sometimes early intervention is the key to an easier, more effective solution. In this post, we’ll show you that Invisalign for children is now a ‘thing.’ So, let’s get cracking.
- 1 Invisalign for Children
- 2 Requirements to Wear Invisalign
- 3 Effectiveness
- 4 Sleep Disorder
- 5 Call us for Invisalign for Children
Invisalign for Children
- Invisalign braces allow numerous benefits since their invention. However, in recent years, these advantages expanded to adolescents. Parents taking advantage of these clear, plastic braces enjoy fewer restrictions, requirements, and similar costs, as compared to traditional metal braces.
- Your child should be evaluated by a licensed dentist by the time they are four years of age. They will take x-rays and examine your child’s mouth. If necessary, the dentist might refer you to an orthodontist. Early intervention allows your dentist and orthodontist to work together to fix common problems as your child, and their mouth, grow! Aligners fit seamlessly into the lifestyle of kids and parents because they are less painful and often correct problems faster.
- Some studies show it works up to 50% faster than traditional braces. Also, you don’t need to worry about broken brackets, pokey wires, or wax since the trays are made of smooth plastic and gradually move the teeth. By starting your child early on the path to a beautiful smile, you train them to wear a retainer every night. This habit ensures their smile will stay straight for years to come!
- Invisalign for children use aligners that draw parents over traditional metal braces because of their lack of restrictions.
- Whereas metal braces come with a list of foods to avoid, the removable plastic trays permit your child to eat whatever he or she desires! This freedom keeps both parents and their children happy! No need to argue over what or how to eat. Simply remove the tray, place in a safe location, eat, then replace the tray!
- Kids should continue to brush and floss twice a day, as recommended for all dental patients. The hygiene routine ensures less damage to teeth from poor brushing around brackets. Again, remove the trays and proceed as normal.
- Many people remember pain or damage experiences with metal braces during band or sports. However, aligners eliminate this concern. Children can continue to participate in their favorite activities with no accommodations or pain! Most of the time, unless they tell, no one will even know they wear braces.
There’s a load more to come
Requirements to Wear Invisalign
- For your child’s braces to be effective, they should wear them for 20-22 hours a day. These hour requirements mean that a child should only remove the trays while eating or brushing. A recent addition allows you and your orthodontist to verify that your child wears them for the proper time frame.
- A blue indicator, included on each tray, interacts with your child’s saliva and begins to fade. This simple solution eases the minds of parents. Your money will not be wasted!
- Once upon a time, people believed you couldn’t fix complex dental issues with plastic trays. However, over the years many advances have been made. Now your dentist and orthodontist can work together to create a customized plan for your child. This plan might include additional hardware to begin the process.
- To properly use Invisalign for children, your child should be responsible. Since the trays are removed for eating and brushing, they must keep up with them. In good news, trays are replaced every two weeks. If your child loses one, he might be able to move up to the next tray instead of purchasing a duplicate.
Cost Compared to Braces
- As technology improves and more people enjoy the benefits of plastic tray braces, the cost has leveled out. Where they were once considered more expensive than traditional braces, they are now very comparative. Also, most insurance companies that cover traditional braces will cover Invisalign.
- With traditional braces, parents must buy special toothbrushes, water picks, and other devices that enable kids to properly clean their teeth. Not with plastic trays! Everything you need you already use at home or comes with the braces.
- Older kids can properly brush their teeth while younger kids might still require supervision by parents while brushing. Their routine will not need to change once they start Invisalign.
- Metal braces require special brushing techniques to avoid plaque build-up around the brackets. Many adolescents are not able to brush properly and end up with permanent damage to their enamel.
- In addition to a beautiful smile, some kids require dental intervention for medical problems. Studies have shown an increase in sleep disorders in adolescents due to the formation of their mouths. Several abnormalities can cause restricted airflow while sleeping. This serious complication often results in a lack of good rest.
- Children who don’t experience a good night’s sleep have trouble in other areas of life including paying attention and behavior problems. It can even affect their health! Sometimes, a simple realigning of the jaw structure can solve the problem.
- Types of jaw problems include: Small Palates – Crossbites – Extreme Crowding
- If you notice signs of sleep deprivation in your child, contact an orthodontist in addition to their pediatrician. An orthodontist can do an exam and determine if braces might remedy the problems. Great success has been made in widening the top jaw using palate expanders in young patients.
- Older patients require surgery, as their upper jaw has fused. Discovering and solving this problem in adolescents means that permanent adult teeth have more room to grow. This process also prevents overcrowding.
In Conclusion – The benefits of Invisalign for Children include:
- Faster solutions
- Less pain
- Developing good habits
- No food restrictions
- Ability to continue as normal
- No activity restrictions
- Blue indicators to verify wear
- Ability to fix even complex issues
- Teaches responsibility
- Comparable cost to metal braces
- Covered by insurance
Call us for Invisalign for Children
Dr. Papandreas knows all about Invisalign for children, teens, and adults. Contact his team today and see if your child, however old they are can use the Invisalign aligner system for a perfect smile into their adulthood.
- Which tip will you try first???
- Either way, let us know by leaving a comment below right now and continue the conversation. Also, link in Twitter over @PapandreasOrtho
14200 Ridge Rd
North Royalton, OH 44133
Invisalign for Children is Popular in 2020 | FAST FACTS